Thursday, February 14, 2008

Was Jeff Buckley a pretentious asshole?

I refused to like Jeff Buckley for the longest time. I thought the only reason he became so cultishly cool was because he drowned. But then I discovered Grace is the best album to listen to when you are really, really depressed. Because it just makes you more depressed! And if you're having a pity party for yourself, why not go all out? I also recommend drinking lots of red wine and wrapping yourself in soft poly-blend blankets and staring blankly in the mirror. I'm a sucker for a beautiful voice, and his is so warbly and quivering and plaintive. I just worry he was one of those "mysterious" guys in high school that all the girls had a crush on--when in reality their aloofness was just a mask for no personality. But, since he is dead, I'll never really know. And maybe that's a good thing. Plus, he was pretty hot. And apparently liked Doritos Cool Ranch.

1 comment:

matt said...

I love Buckley's music, but in interviews he suffered from the same problem as Anthony Kiedis: trying to sound more intellectual, deep, and spiritual than he really was. So he often ended up sounding like a typical twentysomething self-involved douchebag.